Monday 18 March 2013

The Peregrines are back




So tenacious has the winter been that the return of the peregrine falcons to their nest on the block of flats I can see outside my bedroom window came as a complete surprise. But there they are, or at least one of them. You can see the live action here, this year's webcam thankfully free of adverts.

Last year the peregrines stayed until mid-November. I used to watch them as I sat at the desk by the window and I was surprised that they were still lingering on into the early Winter. The two surviving youngsters had left earlier, I think; it's quite difficult to know who's who.

The female laid her first egg last year on 22nd March, so hopefully it shouldn't be long before we see some this year, though the poor weather might well put them off.

This will be the last year I can sit by the window and watch them, because we're moving out. We almost went for somewhere where we could still see the nest from the bedroom window, but it was a gloomy place; I don't think we would have been happy there.

No comments:

Post a Comment