Wednesday 5 June 2013

The progress of this year's peregrine family


Last time this blog saw the peregrine family they were 2 adults and 4 eggs. Now they are 2 adults and 4 teenage hatched eggs. It was around 2nd May when they started hatching, now they're a month old and pretty much getting ready to leave the nest it seems.

I can't see them from my window anymore. We have moved. We have different windows. I can still see them from the street if I walk round the corner but it's not quite as fun. Here in our new flat there are quite a few starlings who hang around on the rooftops. I listen to their songs, which sometimes include a lovely glissando from high to low, the full gamut of their range. I must listen out for them imitating blackbirds and ringtones. Sometimes I hear goldfinches flying by but I haven't seen any and there have been some swifts in the sky this evening, they squeaked by almost at my eye-level. But alas we cannot see peregrines.

I haven't paid attention to much of the peregrines' chickhood, which I am starting to regret. We watched them for a while on the webcam the other day. They were feasting on a pigeon. Imagine seeing a peregrine catch a pigeon! In mid-air. (Did I say all this last year?) 

The nest box now is a death scene of pigeon feathers and bones. I can see the sun is rising in the webcam. Only one chick is in there at the moment. Have the others left him/her behind and ventured out into the world beyond the nest?

Here are some photos charting their development from egg to fluffy white thing to mini peregrine.














No comments:

Post a Comment